Kurt R. Mattson is the President of Union Legal Research. He is the former Director of Library Services and Continuing Education at Lionel Sawyer & Collins in Las Vegas. Prior to this, he served in numerous research, product development, and editorial positions with BNA and other legal publishers. He spent a substantial portion of his career working for West Publishing (Thomson Reuters) holding supervisory roles in product development, corporate training, and legal research. He has also served as a consultant for several legal research and marketing companies.
Kurt received his JD from William Mitchell College of Law and his Masters of Law (LLM) from the National Law Center at George Washington University. He received his Masters of Library Information Science (MLIS) from Wayne State University in Detroit.
Kurt is the editor of the Lexis title, BSA/AML Update, and co-author of A.S. Pratt’s Mortgage Procedure Guide to Federal and State Compliance and author of Fair Debt Collection Practices: Federal and State Law and Regulation. His article on employment discrimination, Demise of Disparate Impact on the Rehnquist Court, was published in the University of North Dakota Law Review.
He is also a contributor to other business and legal publications.
- Surprising Differences: An Empirical Analysis of Lexis and West Headnotes in the Written Opinions of the 2009 Supreme Court Term, Law Library Journal, Spring 2018, co-authored with Peter A. Hook, Professor, Cornell Law School.
- 12 Business Lessons For Teaching The Business of Law, AALL Spectrum, Volume 20, Number 4, March/April 2016, co-authored with Eve Ross, McNair Law Firm, Columbia SC.
- Crisis Aftermath: Las Vegas’ Foreclosure Is Sunny With A Chance Of Optimism, Vegas Legal Magazine, October 2015.
- Fracking Comes to the Silver State… Are We Ready? Nevada Lawyer Magazine (State Bar), July 2014, co-authored with Linda M. Bullen, Esq., Lionel Sawyer & Collins.
- Two Librarians Awareness of Current Awareness, AALL Spectrum, Volume 18, No. 8, June 2014, co-authored with Kelly M. Leong, Duke University School of Law, Goodson Law Library.
- Why do I Need Books? Isn’t Everything Online? Nevada Lawyer Magazine, October 2013.
- Jump in Da Lake, Lake Superior Magazine, Fall 1990.
Kurt lectured on legal research for the National Business Institute in 2013 in a class entitled, Find it Free and Fast on the Net: Strategies for Legal Research on the Web and taught several semesters of legal research at the University of California, Riverside.
He served on the American Association of Law Librarians Committee on Relations with Information Vendors and the Education Committee of the Nevada CLE Board.